At Colebrook Infant Academy we believe that;
- Reading should be fun and we encourage children to have a love of books.
- Children are able to express themselves creatively and imaginatively as they become enthusiastic and critical readers of stories, poetry and drama, as well as of non-fiction and media texts.
- Children gain an understanding of how language works by looking at its patterns, structures and origins.
Reading at Colebrook is taught through;
- Phonics; This is taught through the Read Write Inc. scheme in discrete sessions Monday to Thursday.
- Guided reading occurs in addition to the literacy lesson. Children are grouped according to ability.
- Children read the Oxford Reading Tree and other carefully graded books for individual and shared home reading .
Literacy lessons predominately use a text as a starting point.
We believe that talk for writing enhances children’s written communications.
The Read Write Inc. website contains plenty of useful information about our approach to teaching phonics. Click here for a very handy video tutorial showing how to teach your child to blend sounds for reading.